Friday, April 13, 2007

Thrashers First Playoff Game Experience

Ok, so we lost game 1. In all honesty, the Rangers seemed like they just wanted it more for a while. But the Thrashers came storming back in the 3rd to make it close… and then the 6 on 4 at the very end… I was SO sure we were going to tie it up in the end… but no, the Rangers survived.

So now tomorrow afternoon is not death, but it is pretty much a must win now. You don’t want to go into NY… into hostile territory… down 0-2 … on the Rangers home ice. That would be devastating. Not un-recoverable, but unlikely.

But let me tell you something. Last night was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen in this town. A completely sold out, standing-room only Philips Arena. Giant Blueland flags hanging from every suite. Everyone waving their Blueland scarves. Blue between the glass. Blue rope lightning around the glass during intermission. Fans that never gave up. It was so loud you could have gone deaf. Everyone was impressed, including the media. I was impressed. I shed a tear of joy. It was a moment we’ve been waiting for 7 years since 1999. It was impressive. Amazing. And I bet that Saturday will be even better.

Saturday – People won’t be working, people will be down there very early, and people will be excited, pumped, ready to rock Blueland and the Rangers down to the ground.

Last night, we were waiting for Headlines Grill to open up to the public at 7… it was a stampede up the stairs, but we managed to get great seats.

Now, I have to give props to my brother. He drove all the way from Athens, somehow didn’t get a speeding ticket, parked, took MARTA, somehow caught a train as soon as he got there, waited less than 2 minutes for a westbound train, and somehow managed to make it 10 minutes before 7. How in the world he made it that fast and before the game started was beyond me. But the ticket was his 22nd birthday present and he wouldn’t have missed it for the world either. Now, he did get lucky because he was let out of class earlier that normal because they had a sub… so man, did he luck out or what?

My girlfriend’s friend even made it on time… so we all got to sit together, so it was great to be surrounded by friends and family for the first ever Thrashers playoff game.

While we were waiting, Thrashers GM Don Waddell and Hawks GM Billy Knight were there, talking, and meeting and greeting a bunch of suits… they had some sort of party for those corporate suit types who had probably not been to a Thrashers game all season… probably never before. But we did get to meet them both at the same time, which was cool. It’s not too often you get to meet two of the most powerful men in this city.

Of course there were plenty of celebrities at the game… several Hawks players were there, Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin was there… they both got booed… why I don’t know, but who cares…Evander Holyfield was there… but the rest was a blur. Oh but our biggest “supporter”, Lil Jon, who claims to be this huge Thrashers and hockey fan, didn’t even bother to make the trip for his team’s first ever playoff appearance. I know he’s out west making records, but still, if he was truly a devout fan as he claims, he has enough money and would’ve shown up. He hasn’t been to a game since… what… the very beginning of the season… he was there more often last season…

Anyway, my heart was racing at the end of the game, it was so exciting and tense and emotional… but it was not to be. My heart is STILL racing from that moment last night.

Anyway, I know, I know… but somehow my brother managed to win the College Night giveaway at a Hawks game earlier this year and he got a 15” inch flat Philips TV and a Philips portable DVD player… he picked them up today and also got some free tickets for tonight’s game… so my girlfriend and I are going to go… just so we can look at the Thrashers gear w/o the insane crowds tomorrow… and hit up spin and win, maybe stay for a few minutes for the game, and then it’s on to Kobe Steaks to celebrate our 2 year anniversary.


Last night as we were waiting in line, 2 Rangers players attempted to enter Philips Arena in the doors all the way to the right… you’ve probably seen them before… people who don’t know and try to enter the arena always try to pull the doors open there… so we gave them a little southern hospitality and directed them to the correct entrance… we tried to tell them they were at the wrong place and to walk down Peachtree Street to the Georgia Dome… oh well, they didn’t bite.

We did get to wish Mellanby and Boulton good luck as they walked into the arena from CNN Center.

I also ran into at least one Rangers fan with a Yankees hat on, and well, it’s my mission in life to let the world know just what I think of the Yankees… so I let ‘em have it.

Anyway, I’m leaving madd early tomorrow to be at CNN Center early as can be. If it were up to me, I’d bring a sleeping back and a pillow and sleep inside CNN Center, but I don’t need to land in jail.


Anyway, that’s it for now…. LETS KICK SOME NEW YORK RANGER ASS!!!!!!!

LETS GO THRASHERS!!!!!!!

No comments: