Wednesday, April 11, 2007

AM 680 The Fan - Fan Rally / Playoff Anxiety

So, it was our 2nd year anniversary. We’ve been dating two years now… and, so we simply could not have found anything better to do, seeing as how it was a week night, then go to the Thrashers Fan Rally at Jillians. I wasn’t even sure what Jillians was; I don’t spend any time up that way except for going to Thrashers practices and Gladiators games… but it’s just like Dave N. Busters. Anyway, we walked in, and 680 The Fan had their prize wheel; I ended up with a 680 The Fan t-shirt.

Anyway, we sat down at the bar and got some drinks and ordered the doughnut holes; we had already eaten earlier. Damn they were good. We had already put our name in the box for the giveaways.

Don Waddell was first on the air followed by Coach Bob Hartley and lastly was Scott Mellanby’s father. He had some very interesting comments about hockey in HD and having all of the camera angels standardized in ever arena. He also spoke about shootout vs. overtime in the playoffs. He had a very interesting perspective. He mentioned that about 1 in 36,000 kids get to ever have a chance to play pro hockey.

It was fun; there was a good sized group of fans there. We didn’t win anything, but some folks though it was ok to enter their name numerous times in the box… well some girl won something and then won again, but she was at least honest about it and didn’t take the second item. But I’m guessing some folks probably upped their odds by entering more than once. There SHOULD have been a rule saying one entry per person only. Some dude won, I think it was the Kovy jersey, and didn’t have a SINGLE item of clothing on with the Thrashers on it. What kind of “fan” is that? I mean, you are going to a FAN RALLY, not a wear-your-work-clothes rally. Who knows if the guy was even really a fan? I’m not upset I didn’t win anything, but I am thinking that there were some who tried to take advantage of the situation by entering multiple times.

Nonetheless, it was a great experience, and they’ve already got plans for another one when we get past the Rangers (notice I didn’t say “if”!)

So tomorrow I’m wearing my jersey all day; I’m representin’ Blueland and the Thrashers all day long… I can’t WAIT to get there; I get out of class around 3:45ish and then, as I always do around that time, I go over to CNN Center and chill. But seeing as how the doors will now open at 5:30 instead of six, it’s perfect. I got my brother a ticket for his birthday, he is coming ALL the way down from Athens in that wonderful rush hour traffic to go to the first ever Thrashers playoff game.

I’m nervous, I’m excited, and I’m anxious. Part of me wants the excitement of it going to 7 games, but most of me would like to see a 4 game sweep of the Rangers… I know that is highly unlikely, but it would be the most comforting.

Hopefully we’ll be able to ride the splendor from that last game against Tampa. We can ride that momentum all the way to the Stanley Cup!

So yes it’s true that Atlanta Spirit was out at Colony Square yesterday… too bad I don’t work on Tuesdays… but someone or a few people left me two Blueland shirts and Thrashers logo magnet. Like I don’t already have enough Blueland shirts!! LOL. They are always good to have around.

So the next post I make here will be after the first playoff game. If we win, then more than likely you’ll see a post that night, along with plenty of photos. If we lose, I probably won’t be in any mood to write that night, so it’ll be later on.

I’m anxious. I’m ready. I simply can not wait.

LETS GO THRASHERS!!!!!!!

No comments: