Sunday, February 04, 2007

Philly's Bitch


I don't even know where to begin or what to say. The night started off so well... we were first in line at the doors. Now, to the right there are a set of doors that on rare occasions Philips Arena secuirty opens up for larger crowds... well, last night, they opened the doors, but it was only for a special group attending the game; they didn't put up the barriers like they normally do when the open the door for the general public. Well, they let the special group in, and behind them regular fans started lining up. The special group was allowed in, but fans that thought they were opening it for a line were sadly mistaken. They bitched, the complained, and it pissed me off because we'd been there for hours and hours waiting... but they made it clear that it was not a normal line. Oh, they were steaming mad, but the secuirty guys did the RIGHT THING and closed the entrance after the special group was let in. Those folks had to go all the way to the back of the line. I told the security guys later that it was great they did the RIGHT thing. Then, for some reason, they thought they could just cut in line in front over others by forming a line off to the side of ours...but the line went all the way back way the hell into CNN Center...so I'm not sure who those folks though they were, but that was incredibly ignorant and stupid. A few kids complained to the security guards, but there was nothing they could do. Nonetheless, Sam and I were first in as we seem to always be... we grabbed our Kovy statues, ran up to Spin N Win, and low and behold I won free Thrashers tickets. Anyway after Spin N Win, we went over to Headlines Grill. I had tickets in 305 row P, but this view was much better. We were lucky as hell to get a spot right up on the stools to watch the game. If you aren't in the arena first and basically haul ass there, you won't ever get a spot. Anyway, we had a great view from Headlines Grill. Some lawyers tried to ask us for our seats, but it was obvious to me they were not there as Thrashers fans or even to enjoy hockey... they were there to socialize and talk lawyer bullshit. There was no way we were moving.

Tied 1-1 after the first.... no big deal...
Leading 2-1 after the 2nd... things were looking good, we played well during the 2nd period...
The third period, however, was a totally different story. We imploded. We self-destructed. I have nothing nice to say about it. I am incredibly numb... I just sat there in a trance... I could not believe what was going on...The first place Thrashers losing to a team with HALF the amount of points we have is playing TWICE as good as we were, at least in the third period. The Thrashers are the Flyers bitch.... apparently everyone else in the NHL can beat them...except us. Losing to a last place team in front of a huge, sold out crowd on a Saturday night sure does not hold well with your casual fan; they sure aren't going to want to come back after seeing that.

And by the way, that goal that was reviewed for a long time... since we were behind the goal... from the looks of it, yes, it was played with a hick stick... it looked to me like there was no doubt it was above the cross bar of the goal...but they called it a goal.

The goal that the Thrashers had that was not counted because the net became dislodged.... that was some pure bullshit right there. It was a goal in every way... so the Thrashers did get fucked twice by some bad calls, but even that is no reason or excuse for us to play that way.

Now, if we come out Tuesday and somehow, someway get a W against the Sabres... then I'll feel a lot better. I have a feeling though that the game won't be heavily attended on a Tuesday night, especially after last night's horrible disaster.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Thrashers more than life itself... I know, I know its a sick obsession, but hey, it's better than crack... when you like something so much and they fail right in front of your eyes, it's hard to take. As much as I believe and want to believe and in my heart I still believe, and we're still in 1st, Tampa is slowly but surely crawling back up there... I want to believe, but after losing twice to the Flyers... at home... to a last place team... at least at the moment, it is hard to believe, as much as I want to... it just takes it out of you. If we get a W on Tuesday, that all might change, but at the moment I'm trying to pretend I was never there.

I do want to thank Philips Security, however, for doing the RIGHT thing and making those fans go back into their line. It's a big fuck you to the fans who've been waiting for hours and hours all afternoon and then open up another set of doors to let people who haven't been waiting NEARLY as long in the building and get in the front of a line. It's morally and ethically wrong; but they did the RIGHT thing and closed the doors backup. I told them thanks and I know they appreciated the thanks, especially with all the bullshit they probably put up with from those complaining about it. I don't know why people think they are better than everyone else or why they think they have some special privilege to just be let in when others ahead of them have been waiting much, much longer.

I'm glad we don't have to play the Flyers any more or deal with their obnoxious fans. There was a group in front of us in the seats with stickers called "Mens Night Out"... I'm guessing it was some sort of wedding party or something... but every time someone scored, they ALL got up, and were exchanging money in some sort of betting thing... but they would NOT sit down... but those of at the Headlines Grill bad wouldn't have, we told them to sit the fuck down and finally they did... but man, they were just to ignorant and worried about their stupid betting to sit down so others could see the game.

There should be mandatory class for those who've never or rarely been to an arena called area etiquette 101: When to sit, when to stand.

That's all for now. I'm to sick to my stomach after the game to rant and rave and single out players right now. I just want to pretend it never happened and hope for the best on Tuesday.

I'll get back to posting articles during the week; I'm in no mood at the moment...but I had to vent about the game. Let's just pretend it never happened.

1 comment:

George said...

I was the kid that came up and complained to the guard right in fun of you. That is kind of ironic.

--George
talkingthrash.blogspot.com